Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Response # 4 Children Mature on their own through Media


Children Mature On Their Own Through Media
By: Jonathan D. Livers
Eng. 102 Michael D. Benton
A new upraise in the foundation of education is media interaction. It’s been on a course in the past decade to revolutionizing the way we learn, interact, and find our individual images.  Media can be used to face talk with someone on the go, learn a new language, and even create a whole new world. Some people on the other hand feel that media is a distraction from the “real” learning which monotone teachers provide; these people feel that the media is corrupting the minds of our youth. In fact, it’s progressing the knowledge of their surrounds, teaching them how to interact with one another, behave, and manors.
                Media that we as the youth all know and love, the television, the dreaded devise our parents warned us about that if you sit too close to it, your eyes will pop out of your head. Well, not so much. Many of the classes I’ve taken have involved visual media, such as documentaries, and movies.  Imagine the movies you watched at a young age, what did you learn from them? A favorite of mine was the Ninja turtle series, KOWABUNGA! What is there to learn from a bunch of pizza eating ninja fighting turtles? I learned the difference between right and wrong, the value of teammates, and that pepperoni is the best type of pizza. I was a kid! Of course after I got done I would act out all the flip kicks, and I even made my own nun chucks out of two pieces of wood and  an old pair of Nike shoe strings. Did me being an interactive kid mean the movie made me an animal, no, I was maturing on my own pace.
                Other media tools such as computers, tablets, and Smartphone’s are another reason that learning has evolved. Computers run our whole security network now, they run most of our factories, and it’s the most used tool in the education field by far. Tablets do everything a computer can, but much more portable, and Smartphone’s are progressing to take over the tablet world, all in a matter of 10 years. A computer that can fit in your pocket, who would have seen that coming 20 years ago? The world has changed, and our system of operation should as well. Business have already reformed, now it’s time for the education department.
                I’m from a small country town, growing up I never had all the amenities of a game system, I didn’t get my first computer until I was a junior in high school, and a Smartphone, didn’t even know what that was. I’ve done good to teach myself these things, but it’s important that we introduce media to our youth as soon as possible. My old high school just used government funded money to purchase all iPods and Ipads for the library instead of new books. Many of the people thought the school was taking away from their Childs education, but ironically children started loving to go to school on library day. None of the iPods or Ipads has any games, most of the downloaded content is books and other educational tools, but it’s a different way of learning for them. It’s not three 15LB books they have to lug around and cramp in their lockers.
The point being, media is a great new way for you to learn. Don’t allow your parents to undermine the use of technology in your life. It’s a great way to experience life, because I feel that media is the face of a whole new generation of learning which will be passed down for generations, or until they can find how to zap the information into our heads.

Citation Page
"Changing Paradigms."http://sirkenrobinson.com/skr/watch. Web. 31 Aug 2011. <

Williamson, Ben. "On Parenting, Media, Education and Phobias ." DMLcentral (2011): 1. Web. 31 Aug 2011. <http://dmlcentral.net/blog/ben-williamson/parenting-media-education-and-phobias>.

No comments:

Post a Comment